48 Slaves of Barna Ivey

48 Slaves....

My Blog Sister Schalene! of Tangled Roots & Trees decided to start a Slave Name Roll Project to Honor a Place for the Slaves

You can go here to add the Slaves you know of. So they will have a place. If you have Slaves or know someone who doesn't quite know where to put the information? Please take time and pass the word about the project. Schalene will be more than Thankful to add them for you. 

My True Roots is my Safe Haven for my Slaves and Ancestors to be remembered Collectively in One Place. This is what the Slave Name Roll Project will do as well.

The Slave Name Roll Project, is not just for Black History Month in February but a Continuation of Work.

This is what Collaboration is all about. 

Finding Slaves is Collaborative. Often times these records are in personal papers. That is why so many hit the infamous "Brickwall of 1870" they so often speak of. There is a way to knock it down and go around it. This is just one way. We have to work together to get the information out.

These are the 48 Slaves I want to Remember. Hopefully one day their Descendants will Find them.





My True Roots


With this Slave Blog Roll we are hoping many will find this as a way to put the Slaves they have Online to.

I think this is a great opportunity for all. Many times these records are hidden in private papers. 


These 48 Slaves are Owned by Barna Ivey born September 22, 1795 in North Carolina. Died November 21, 1856. Glenville, Alabama. His son Malachi Ivey was Executor of his Estate. 

In 1850 He was living in Barbour County, Alabama. Division 23. The Will & Appraisement Record was found in Macon County, Alabama. 
His Overseer was Richard Hill is located below on the 1850 census in the household of Barna Ivey. 
I've also seen Baron DeKalb Williams as a Overseer at one point as well. His history which I'll reveal later says he was a Overseer on Barna Ivey's plantation. 


My True Roots

I got these Records from Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery Alabama while looking for my Own Slaves. I'm a Blue Card Carrier. I ordered these in 2010. 

I'm a Member of Alabama Genealogical Society & Bullock County Historical Society. 

48 Slaves....

Here are the Sources I used to obtain the information on the Slaves and the Slave owner.

Click here for Extensive Research that I use:
Bob Baird His Work and Research is insurmountable. It has helped me extensively when I intertwine his research with my own. I hope he knows how much its appreciated? 

George Franks Ivey: The Ivey Family in the United States. Written in 1941 November 1st. Below is a Link to read. 

Ivey Descendant put on PDF

Ancestry:

Ancestry.com
1850 Census: Barbour County, Ala. It names Richard Hill as Overseer.




NoTe'S To MySelf:  I have researched this Family of the Ivey's for over 10 years. In hopes of finding my Slaves.


My True Roots
My Personal Ivey Research 

I'm still grieving over these 48 Slaves. Who do they belong to? I'm constantly searching for who their Descendants are......

When I received this Packet from ADAH. I was overwhelmed. As I quietly sat. I was hoping to see the Names of my Ancestors; it was not to be. 

I still don't have the answer if they could really be my Family? Could they be in my DNA? Could these Slaves have been around my own Slave Family and not DNA related but considered them Family? 
Are my Slaveowners of Granddaddy William and Minty Ivey recently found on the Genealogy Roadshow related to these Slaveowners in some capacity?
 Many thoughts have run through my mind since obtaining these documents. 

I have a whole file on the Ivey Family. I study them like I study my Own Slave Ivey / Ivery's.

I Cried, Whooped, Hollered and Grieved over them because they are Somebodies Slaves. Somebody's Family
I will be back to update and revisit the Ivey Slaves. To put more of the Probate information up. 
Thanks to Cathy my BlogSister of  Opening Doors in Brick Walls for all the Encouragement!

It was a Blessing & Honor for me to Add these Slaves to the Project. May their Names be set Free

For more Information; Please feel free to contact me.

Leave me a NoTe or Comment




48 Slaves...








19 comments:

  1. Is this still a thing? My last name is Ivey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a thing....I had to sit and contemplate this. Human beings and People are in these records. As African Americans we are trying to find our Ancestors in these Papers. Do you realize how long we have had to wait to find out our Lineage because of Slavery? It was a systematic and hateful terror and it is 2020 and we are still learning , searching and trying to find out because of what the Ivey family did enslaving us and not properly or correctly documenting the Enslaved people that they owned. It's hidden in records like these. Papers, Bill of Slaves, Dowry, that Ivey family members hold on to , possible destroyed and burned. We are looking for a inch , a clue. Slave owners didn't bat a eye when it came to our Ancestors lives. Now we the Descendants are looking for them through all the damage and hate America has imposed on us and we are looking for our People even when there is no documentation maybe only a DNA test can provide. So with that being said. If you are a Ivey. Maybe you should do some soul searching into your family heritage and see what if any you can Come to the Table with information about what role your family had in all of this. Ivey Surname didn't come out of the blue. Your family has been traced back to the old country and how you set foot on this land. What I am trying to do is place these Enslaved people with their Descendants of today. Eventually someone is going to come looking for those 48 people and here they will find out what happened to them and WHY they were lost in the ages. Luckily for me I found them. Something that happened 400 years ago is still affecting us all these years later. It wasn't a long time ago for some of us. It was just a generation or two back. As you can see in my work above. The Ivey's owned my family. They took on the last name for years even had to get married with it when they had no last name. I am a Descendant of William & Minta Ivey two slaves that were "allowed" to get married in 1865 in Pike Co, Alabama. They are my 3rd Great Grandparents. Their Son, was my Grandfather's Grandfather and he KNEW him. This is not random. This is in my lifetime.

      Best Regards.

      Delete
  2. My sons fathers last name is Ivey. He never met his father though. But he says he’s a Jr. from what his mother tells me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use my email button to send more details so I can correspond with you to ask the correct questions. Hopefully I can lead you into the right direction to find out more information. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather was Johnson Ivy out if Alabama. His father was Johnson Ivy from Alabama but his mother was originally in Mississippi and went on to Alabama. My great grandmother's mother's maiden name was Ella Mae Barbera. Barabera-Johnson was her married name. Perhaps you have information or maybe this helps you. Let me know. I'm searching for my people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star let me put this in my Notes on Ancestry. I have DNA matches that are related to the Ivy surname and I can't remember off hand the couple that the way you spell it that they are related to . I follow the Ivey Surname Group. I will see if there is a connection between the two of us. I think we might of gotten separated or took on the last name. I hope we can keep in touch so we can compare notes. Thanks for stopping over.

      Delete
  5. Im from Alabama,im an Ivey. My great grandfather name was Henry Thomas Ivey. Were from a little small community in Bullock County called (Bread Tray Hill) My great grandfather was born March between 1910-1920.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please excuse my tardiness on this message. I would like to look for him on the census and see how in accordance Henry Thomas Ivey was from my family. I am not familiar with all those little communities, I have to look for Bread Tray Hill. His birth year is around some of Granddaddy Ike's children. Are you of European or African American descent? I do have a tree on Ancestry we can compare our research to as well. I am familiar with both of those census 's from Bullock County, Ala.

      Delete
    2. My Martin, Ivey & Goodwin kin are living at Bread Tray Hill, my cousin Jackie Hough Cummings, tells me this piece of land these people I believe owned. I was on a research to Union Springs, Al and met up with cousins who lived there. My paternal 4th great-grandparents are: Edmond & Marie Ivey (Hooks). Their children were: Joe Ivey, Charles Ivey, Thomas Ivey, Elias Ivey, Mack Ivey Sr., John Ivey, Elizabeth Ivey, Betsey Ivey, Sandy Ivey, Larkins Ivey & Dora Anna Ivey. My paternal 4th great uncle Pat Ivey and his wife Dilcie were from the same area as well. Their children were: Gus Ivey, Thaddeus Ivey, Amos Ivey, Anna Ivey, Mitchell Boston Ivey, Emerline Ivey, George Ivey, Lula Ivey & Rosa Ivey-Martin.

      Delete
    3. I'm from Union Springs, AL as well. My father's name is Bennie Lee Ivey Jr. and he was born in Hardaway, AL to Bennie Lee Ivey Sr. and Johnetta Ivey. Growing up, there weren't many Ivey's at all. I would love to connect. | ivey311@rochester.rr.com

      Delete
  6. Hi my name is Shandrikka ivery from Memphis tn from what i was told that our family really came from the ivory coast an were bought as slaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure yet, Shandrikka. There are many Ivery's for many reasons being sold amongst the Ivey family. I am not familiar with your branch. Do you all have a family historian that does your family history. I may be able to connect some of you all's history with ours to make a connection.

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed with the work you are doing on our family roots. When I see these different spellings for Ivery, it reminds me that most slaves added or took away letters to their last name to establish their own identity. I am curious about Bread Tray Hill. My mother Bessie Ivery Goodloe was born October 5, 1910.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Is Bread Tray Hill a place in Alabama or Georgia. Let me know and I can possibly do some research on that. Aunt Bessie was my Great Grandmother's Sister. Her name was Eddie Lee Ivery Lewis.

      Delete
  8. my name is hormonte ivey i am from new orleans l.a

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family and I have been trying to research our family bloodline. The furthest we got was to my father's grandparents Henry and Elizabeth Ivey. Elizabeth married in to the Ivey family. Theie children are Delmon Ivey and Emma Ivey. My father's mother was Emma Ivey his father's last name was Lockhart. He never acknowledged my father as his son so my father kept his mother's maiden name Ivey. My grandmother Emma was born in 1915 so I'm thinking Henry Ivey was born around 1890-1895. I'm not sure where he got the name Emma from to name his daughter. Looking up our family's history before Henry Ivey has been difficult. I'm not sure if accurate census was conducted in Auguta GA or South Carolina on African Americans. Any help of were I can get started on the Ivey slaves in that area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my name is catina Coplin but my grandmother name was laura bell Ivey from Trenton Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you link the slave owner obeys to Alabama governor Kay Ivey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my ancestors I’m looking into a Key Ivey connection

      Delete

Printfriendly